If you know me at all, you know that I love breakfast! Last weekend I decided to make pancakes but had no flour. Well, I had no regular flour, but I did have whole-wheat flour and almost-spoiled milk. So, I decided to make these delicious pancakes as a way to use up the milk before it went all the way bad. Plus, sour milk gives baked goods a tangy flavor. Sour milk and buttermilk can be used interchangeably in this recipe. Plus, I never buy buttermilk–I always make it by adding one tablespoon of vinegar to a scant one cup of milk and allowing it to sit for a few minutes. The vinegar curdles the milk giving it that delectable and homey buttermilk flavor.
I actually still have leftover ganache from the Valentine’s Day devil’s food cupcakes I made, so I heated it up until it was melted and drizzled it over the pancakes and topped it with fresh berries. The chocolate and berries were really quite necessary for these pancakes, even though I admit to devouring an entire rather large pancake (with no toppings!) since I just couldn’t wait until all of the pancakes were ready!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter, for coating the skillet
- Chocolate syrup and berries, for serving
- Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Combine the buttermilk, vegetable oil and eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Make a small well in the dry ingredients, and pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined. The batter may be slightly lumpy.
- Heat a pancake griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat with butter. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto the skillet. Flip pancakes over when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Cook on the other side an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from the skillet and serve immediately.
- Serve the pancakes with maple syrup, whipped cream, or melted chocolate ganache and berries.
Did you make this receipe?
Tag @foodieinnewyork on Instagram
Share this recipe