No matter where you are in the continental U.S., chances are it’s freezing! Nothing makes me want to cook–and eat–more than freezing temperatures. I have been craving a delicious soup, so I decided to make one. I updated one of my favorite soups that I posted on here five years ago: chicken tortilla soup. I could not justify buying an entire bag of tortilla chips just so that I could use a few for this soup, and I wanted to use something that I already had on hand. So, I decided to add the ever-popular superfood grain, quinoa. I heaped a healthy serving of quinoa into my bowl before ladling the spicy and flavorful soup on top. The quinoa makes this soup much more substantial, and the avocado and fresh lime balance the spicy chipotle chile.
I whipped this soup together after I came home from work and finished it in 30 minutes! (And that included me cooking the quinoa and chicken simultaneously.) I was starving, so I gobbled down a large bowl. I took the leftovers to work, and there was a distinct difference the second day. Although this soup is good the day of, it is probably ten times better the next day! So, make sure you have enough for leftovers. I will be enjoying another bowl at lunch today–which really is perfect because there is no way I’m going out hunting for lunch in this weather.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 chipotle chile en adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup corn (can or frozen OK)
- 1 tomato
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 limes
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- Optional garnishes: avocado, chicken strips, cheddar, cream
- Cook quinoa according to directions.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Chop the onion, garlic and chipotle chile and saute in the oil. Add the chilli powder and salt. Cook until the onion softens (five minutes). Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the corn and cook for five more minutes. Pull from heat.
- Chop the tomato and cilantro. Juice the limes. Add the tomato, cilantro, lime juice, and shredded chicken to the pot with soup and stir.
- Ladle soup on top of cooked quinoa. Top with garnishes.
Did you make this receipe?
Tag @foodieinnewyork on Instagram
Share this recipe