Moist and Delicious Bran Muffins
I admit–I was never the girl to grab a bran muffin over a blueberry muffin. But, I’m loving using whole grains right now, so I decided to stop messing around and really use whole grains. These moist muffins are packed with delicious nutrients: oat bran, wheat germ, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, poached pears, and flax seeds. They are sweetened with molasses, honey, and and a touch of sugar.
The pumpkin seeds are great–especially if you have allergies, but I really love hearty nuts like walnuts and pecans. I will be subbing out the pumpkin seeds for walnuts and pecans next time I make these delicious muffins!
The ingredients here are listed in grams. I’m also listing the converted English measurements. But if you have never baked with a scale, you should start! Your measurements will be more accurate, as how much flour you pack into a measuring cup varies with how densely packed the flour is! But the weight won’t change 😉
Bran Muffins Recipe, Adapted from “Bouchon Bakery”
110 g (3/4 cup + 2 teaspoons) all-purpose flour
74 g (1 cup + 2 tablespoons + 1 1/2 teaspoons) toasted wheat or oat bran
16 g (2 tablespoons + 1 1/2 teaspoons) toasted wheat germ
6.6 g (1 1/2 teaspoons) baking soda
5.5 g (1 1/4 teaspoons) baking powder
149 g (1/2 cup + 2 teaspoons) buttermilk
58 g (3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) half and half
55 g (1/4 cup) water
46 g (1.6 ounces) unsalted butter
82 g (1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons) granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
46 g (2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon) honey
46 g (2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon) molasses
28 g (1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons) diced pears, in can in own juice
28 g (3 tablespoons) raisins OR dried cranberries
55 g (1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) pumpkin seeds
2 teaspoons whole flax seeds, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan with muffin paper cups. Combine flour, bran, and wheat germ in a medium bowl. Sift in baking soda and baking powder and whisk together.
2. Combine buttermilk, half and half, and water in a large spouted measuring cup.
3. Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, turned to medium-low speed and cream the butter. Add the sugar and mix on medium-low speed for 1-2 minutes, until mixture is fluffy. Add vanilla extract and butter. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
4. Add the eggs, honey, and molasses and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds, until just combined (don’t overmix!!!!!)
5. Add half the flour mixture, mixing on low speed for about 15 seconds, until just combined. With the mixture running, add half the buttermilk mixture and mix 15-30 seconds, until just combined. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients, followed by remaining buttermilk mixture.
6. Evenly scoop the muffin batter into the muffin pan. Sprinkle with flax seeds on top of the muffins. Place the pan in the oven, and lower the temperature to 325 F. Bake for 30-33 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Set the pan on a cooling rack and cool completely.
Did you make this receipe?
Tag @foodieinnewyork on Instagram
Share this recipe