Chocolate Dipped Orange Madeleines for People Magazine
I was pumped when I got an email from People Magazine asking me to contribute a recipe for their holiday cookie spread. They wanted a festive cookie, so I decided to spruce up my traditional madeleine recipe. The results were delicious and truly beautiful. I’m used to doing my own styling and shooting—this opened my eyes to how amazing a simple recipe can be presented when there’s a team of super talented professionals behind it!
I decided to make my own recipe today. I altered it slightly because I can’t help myself. I had a bowl of chopped, toasted hazelnuts just sitting on my table that were leftover from some rugelach I made. When I dunked the madeleines in the melted milk chocolate, my hand just went and dipped them in the chopped hazelnuts!
These tasty little treats can be whipped up pretty quickly. Most madeleine recipes require that the batter rests, but not this one. Just mix the orange zest, sugar and eggs until frothy. Then, fold in the dry ingredients, and stir in the butter. They bake in a 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, and once they’re cool, you can dunk them in melted milk chocolate.
These madeleines are a treat all on their own. No hazelnuts needed. The chocolate isn’t even needed. If you make them, make a few with chocolate and some without and see which you like best!
Chocolate Dipped Orange Madeleines Recipe
Featured in Dec. 10, 2018 issue of People
3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 and 1/2 sticks, 6 ounces), plus softened butter for greasing the pan
1 and 1/3 cups (5 ounces) cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons orange zest (from two oranges)
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1. Grease 2 (12-mold) madeleine pans or mini muffin pans with softened butter; dust with flour. Chill in refrigerator until butter hardens, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Microwave 3/4 cup butter in a small microwavable bowl on HIGH until melted, 30 to 45 seconds; set aside.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat eggs, sugar, honey, and zest with a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until pale and frothy, 2 to 3 minutes. Fold flour mixture into egg mixture using a spatula until just combined. Add melted butter; stir until just combined.
4. Spoon batter evenly into madeleine molds, filling each three-fourths full. Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
5. Microwave chocolate in a small microwaveable bowl on MEDIUM (50%) until melted, 11/2 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Dip halves of cooled cookies into chocolate. Transfer to a plate lined with parchment paper; let chocolate set, about 30 minutes.
Did you make this receipe?
Tag @foodieinnewyork on Instagram
Share this recipe