I decided to update a favorite dish of mine, because I wanted to use quick-cooking grits instead of stone ground grits. Stone ground grits may be superior, but I wanted to make this dish without taking over an hour to cook the grits! So, find my updated, revamped recipe below. Of course, you can still find the classic recipe here, which is great for those days when you have a little longer to prepare this meal.
Quick Cooking Shrimp and Grits
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: 4 servings
2 cups water
2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup quick-cooking grits
6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
1 and 1/2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled
1 and 1/2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning (1 tsp. paprika + 1/2 tsp. salt + 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper)
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ounces andouille sausage, chopped (optional)
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
1 cup stewed tomatoes
1/4 cup sour cream
2/3 cup vegetable stock
hot sauce, more chopped green onion (for serving)
- Prepare grits: Combine water, milk, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in grits. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until grits are cooked and creamy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Correct seasoning (taste to determine if more salt or pepper is needed).
- Prepare shrimp: Toss raw shrimp with creole seasoning.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high. Once the oil is hot, add shrimp in batches and saute about 90 seconds for each side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Prepare sauce by melting one tablespoon olive oil in skillet. Add chopped sausage (if using) and saute 3-5 minutes, until fat has rendered and sausage is crispy. Add onions and saute 2 minutes. Add garlic and green onions and saute one minute. Add stewed tomatoes and saute one minute.
- Increase heat to high, add stock, and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated–about 5 minutes. Add sour cream and stir.
- Add shrimp, and cook until the shrimp are hot and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper (or hot sauce!) if needed.
- Serve hot over grits. Garnish with chopped green onions. Enjoy!
Did you make this receipe?
Tag @foodieinnewyork on Instagram
Share this recipe