Five-Cheese Turkey Lasagna
I have been doing more traveling than cooking lately, but decided to make a hearty dish since I had visitors this weekend and I was determined to keep their bellies full. While I was growing up, my mom spent more time baking than cooking, but lasagna is one of her dishes that I remember quite well. We were a red meat-free household back then, so we had turkey everything. Turkey bacon, ground turkey… you get the idea. So, our lasagna was always beef and pork free. I used chorizo chicken sausage in this dish, which adds a ton of flavor, so you won’t miss the pork sausage that is found in many lasagna recipes.
This dishes uses several different cheeses. The cottage cheese and fresh ricotta melt and meld the lasagna layers together, while the cheddar, Parmesan, and fresh mozzarella pack a flavorful punch.
Five-Cheese Turkey Lasagna
Serves: 10 servings
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 3/4 lb. chorizo chicken sausage
- Jar of tomato sauce (24 ounces)
- Can of tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or blend of basil and oregano)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 16 ounces low-fat cottage cheese
- 8 ounces fresh ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into rounds
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- lasagna noodles
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to instructions; drain.
- Saute the onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the onion softens, about five minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and sausage to the large skillet. (I purchased fresh sausage from the butcher, who gladly cut it our of the casing for me so that it would crumble easily while cooking.) Reduce the heat to medium and cook until no trace of pink remains.
- Add tomato sauce, paste, seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to lowest setting and allow to simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare the filling. Combine the eggs, parsley, ricotta, cottage cheese, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese in a large bowl.
- Spread 1/3 of the meat sauce in a 9 x 13 inch dish. Layer with 3 noodles, followed by the slices of cheddar cheese. Next, add 1/2 of the prepared cheese mixture, and top it with 1/2 of the fresh mozzarella. Add another layer of noodles, then 1/3 the meat sauce, followed by the remaining prepared cheese mixture and fresh mozzarella. Lastly, top with another layer of noodles, the remaining meat sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375 F for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Did you make this receipe?
Tag @foodieinnewyork on Instagram
Share this recipe