These are the perfect cookies for Santa, or another contender for your holiday Cookie Swap! These are absolutely easy to make. I didn’t use any fancy equipment–just one pot. I made the entire recipe in that one pot. And it would have been even easier if I had a microwave, because I could have melted the chocolate in the microwave! The only special ingredient I needed to purchase was mint extract since I had a leftover unsweetened chocolate bar from my yule log cookies.
I brought these to the office for our holiday party, and they were one of the first to go. Plus, the crackle design makes them so unique and a real standout. I adapted the recipe from SLMag, but it didn’t need much tweaking! If you don’t like chocolate and mint together, substitute the mint extract for vanilla extract. You’ll get the same beautiful design and mouthwatering chocolate cookie without the mint flavor.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate baking bars, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Melt the chocolate by either microwaving it or putting it in a double-boiler on the stove. If you microwave it, be sure to check it frequently to make sure it doesn’t burn. Once melted, stir in the butter and salt until combined. Then, add the granulated sugar, flavoring extract, and two eggs and mix until blended. Stir together flour, cocoa, and baking powder in a small bowl. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture until well blended. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour to 5 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, then roll in powdered sugar to coat. Place coated cookies 1 inch apart on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until cookies are crackled and have lightly set. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 20 minutes).
Did you make this receipe?
Tag @foodieinnewyork on Instagram
Share this recipe