What the Spanish call a “tortilla” is not the tortilla that we think about when referencing Mexican food. This tortilla is actually an omelette with fried eggs and fried potatoes. It can be served by the slice, and is found in pretty much every eatery/bar in Spain. This is yet another dish that my French roommates and I would throw together for a quick and easy meal!
- 10 ounces red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 8 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Cook potatoes in large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Whisk eggs and next 5 ingredients in large bowl until well blended. Mix in potatoes. Heat oil in large ovenproof nonstick skillet over high heat. Add onion; sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add egg mixture; cook 3 minutes, occasionally stirring egg from sides of skillet. Place skillet in oven and bake eggs until set in center and no longer wet on top, about 20 minutes.
- Remove tortilla from oven. Immediately place skillet on cold wet kitchen towel to prevent further cooking. Let stand 2 minutes. Run spatula around edge of skillet and under tortilla. Lift skillet and tilt, sliding tortilla onto platter. Serve warm or at room temperature. Cut into wedges.
Did you make this receipe?
Tag @foodieinnewyork on Instagram
Share this recipe